Carport, Shed & Garage Sale Information
Residential Carport Information
The following are general requirements for residential carports. For a full list of all requirements please review the recently approved Ordinance No. 19-S-22 and Unified Development Code Sec.21.8.3 Carports, Porte-Cocheres.
- Carports shall be attached to the home.
- Carports shall be open on at least 2 sides.
- Carports shall not exceed 1 story in height, with a maximum ceiling height of 12 feet.
- Carports shall be placed over the driveway.
- Carports shall be set back from the property line a minimum of 5 feet.
Residential SHED Information
The following are general requirements for residential sheds. For a full list of all requirements please review the recently approved Ordinance No. 18-S-36 and Unified Development Code Sec.21.8.2 Accessory Buildings, Uses and Structures.
- The shed must be a minimum of five feet (5') from the property line if located on the side of the home.
- The shed must be a minimum of three feet (3') from the property line if located in the back yard.
- Sheds are not allowed within the front yard or in easements.
- Sheds and accessory buildings greater than 120 square feet require a permit.
- If the shed will be on a permanent foundation, a foundation/flatwork permit is required.
- A permit is not required for a shed or accessory building which is less than 120 square feet and does not have a permanent foundation (i.e. concrete pad). Even though a permit is not required, the shed must still be in compliance with all standards and regulations for sheds and accessory buildings, as defined in Unified Development Code Sec.21.8.2 Accessory Buildings, Uses and Structures.
- The maximum wall height of a shed or accessory building is eight feet (8’). *
- The maximum number of sheds or accessory buildings is three (3).*
*lots ½ acre and greater have different requirements which can be found in Unified Development Code Sec.21.8.2.
Garage Sale Information
Within the City of Schertz a permit is not required to host a garage sale, however residents are still required to adhere to the rules and regulations when organizing a garage sale in the City:
• Residents are limited to a maximum of four garage sales per year with each sale being allow for no more than two consecutive days (e.g. Friday & Saturday or Saturday & Sunday).
• Garage sale hours of operation are limited to 7:00 AM – 6:00 PM
• Residents are allowed to place up to two signs per garage sale; each sign must not exceed three square feet in size. Signs can be posted no more than 24 hours prior to the garage sale and must be removed within 24 hours after completion. Signs cannot be placed in the right of way. Property owner permission is required to place a sign on private property. Signs are prohibited to be posted along FM 3009, FM 1103, FM 78, FM 1518, and Schertz Parkway.
For questions and more information on conducting garage sales in Schertz, please reach out to the City Inspections office at (210) 619-1750 or review Ordinance No. 17-L-51.
For complaints regarding garage sale violations in the City, please reach out to Schertz Code Enforcement at (210) 619-1200.