Frequently Asked Questions

How do I become a Texas Peace Officer?

Law enforcement officers (i.e. Police Officers, Deputy Sheriffs, Constables, etc) within the State of Texas are considered "PEACE OFFICERS". All Texas Peace Officers are required to obtain and maintain a commission through the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement or TCOLE, pronounced "TEE-COAL", for short. TCOLE requires individuals to complete the following to obtain a commission:

  • Successful completion of the basic licensing course
  • Passing of the State licensing examination
  • Appointment by a law enforcement agency.

Does Schertz Police Department have a police academy?

No. Currently, the Schertz Police Department provides instruction and in-service training only to persons who hold a current Peace Officer Commission.  For individuals that are not certified Texas Peace Officers, they will go through the same testing process as the Certified applicants.  After passing the required steps following the written test, and physical agility test, a conditional job offer is given.  Once hired by the Department, the applicant will then complete a TCOLE certified basic peace officer course.  After the successful completion of the police academy, the officer will start the field training program.     

Another option for individuals seeking enrollment into a Basic Peace Officer Course are encouraged to research and attend one of several local or area training academies. A benefit to attending a regional or area training academy is that individuals attending these academies do not necessarily have to be currently employed with an agency in order to be accepted into the program. Frequently, these individuals first attend the Basic Peace Officer Course and pass the State required license examination on their own before seeking employment with any of the various law enforcement agencies within the State of Texas. The following is a list of the major local training academies in the Schertz area:

What if I’m already a commissioned peace officer from another state?

If you have had or currently have a Peace Officer commission (or its equivalent) issued from another State or the Federal government, you may be eligible to attend a "Texas Supplemental Peace Officer Course" in lieu of the basic peace officer course. For further information, you should contact the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE), or an area training academy for specific qualifications.

  1. Police Department

    Physical Address
    1400 Schertz Parkway
    Building 6
    Schertz, TX 78154

    Emergency Phone: 911

  2. Hillory Murphy