Planning & Zoning Division Helpful Information
The Planning and Community Development Department is broken into two distinct divisions, the Planning and Zoning Division and the Inspections Division.
The Planning & Zoning Division ensures planned and purposeful development within the City limits and the Extraterritorial Jurisdiction through an efficient, consistent, unbiased, and effective development review process to promote quality development.
The Division provides direction to help citizens, businesses, and developers implement successful projects that will benefit the community. Division responsibilities include the review and processing of development projects, such as commercial site plans, plats, zone changes, specific use permits, and annexations; the research and development of long range plans and goals to guide the future of our City; and the creation of development codes to tailor our regulations around citizen needs and city goals.
The Division frequently collaborates with other departments within the City, including Engineering, Fire, Public Works, and Inspections, as well as other governmental agencies, in order to shape a suburban environment that prioritizes safety.
The Division also provides guidance and staff recommendations to the City Council, Planning and Zoning Commission, Board of Adjustment, and the Capital Improvements Advisory Committee to help them best serve the residents of Schertz.
City of Schertz Development Process
To review the City of Schertz Development Process from Platting to Building Permits, please review the following document. If there are any questions after reviewing the Development Process please contact the Planning Division.
- What is Zoning?
- How can I find the zoning on my property?
- Where can I find a copy of the City of Schertz Zoning Map?
- What uses are permitted in each zoning district?
- How can I find more information about a current development / construction project in Schertz?
- What is a Planned Development District?
- What is Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ)?
- What is annexation?
- What is the Unified Development Code, UDC, and where can I find a copy?
- What is the City’s Comprehensive Land Plan and where can I find a copy?
- What is the process for developing a commercial lot?
- What is a Plat?
- What is a commercial site plan?
- What is a Specific Use Permit?
- What are the City’s fees for Planning & Zoning applications?
- What is the Board of Adjustment?
- What is the Planning & Zoning Commission?