Welcome to the Schertz Fire Rescue Firefighter Recruitment web page!
Please check this site for information and updates on becoming a Schertz Fire Rescue Team member.
Schertz Fire participates in the Alamo Area Fire Chief's testing process as well hoisting our own testing process.
The City of Schertz is accepting applications for the position of Certified or Non-certified Firefighter to fill immediate vacancies and to establish an eligibility list that will remain in effect for a period of six months. We employ 41 uniformed positions in two fire stations and project opening a third station in 2018. Schertz Fire Rescue will assist personnel in completing the certification requirements for this position within one year of employment. Schertz Fire Rescue is a learning organization that is proud of its training and professional development.
Certification, License and Special Requirements
No certifications are required to test (Schertz Fire Rescue will assist employees with completing required certifications)
- Structural Certification by the Texas Commission of Fire Protection. (Within one year of employment)
- EMT-B certification from Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS), (Within one year of employment)
- Requires a valid Class “B” Texas driver’s license and the ability to remain insurable under the city’s insurance policy.
Preference may be given to applicants who have:
- Structural Firefighter Certification from Texas Commission on Fire Protection, or
- Licensed/Certified EMT - Basic or higher from Texas Department of State Health Services.
- NIMS (100, 200, 700, 800)
Step 1: Apply on-line - Application period is closed.
Step 2: Take Ergometrics test with Alamo Area Fire Chiefs Assoc or Schertz Fire Rescue. Our department typically only hosts a test when we have current openings. You must pass the Ergometrics test to continue in the hiring process.
Current test dates: March 7, 2018 or March 10, 2018
|Test Location: March 7, 2018 at 8:30AM ||Test Location: March 10, 2018 at 9:00AM|
|Schertz Civic Center (Click for Map)||Ray Corbett Jr High (Click for Map)Corbett Jr High Map|
|1400 Schertz Parkway, BLDG #5||12000 Ray Corbett Dr|
|Schertz,TX 78154||Schertz, TX 78154|
Step 3: Complete Physical Agility Testing with a passing time.
The PAT consist of the following elements:
- The applicant will be provided helmet, gloves and 50 pound weighted vest.
- Applicant will perform a 3 minute 20 second stair climb on a StairMaster.
- Applicant will then proceed to a timed PAT test and perform the following:
- Carry a 50’ section of hose up 1 story and down
- Lift a 50’ section of hose on a rope from 1 story and back down
- Pull 200’ charged hose line
- Walk a 50’ serpentine course
- Pull a 175 pound manikin 80’
Step 4: Panel Interview with Schertz Fire Rescue Team Members
Step 5: Complete Background review process
Step 6: Fire Chief Interview
Step 7: Conditional Job Offer - Complete and Pass Medical Screening and Drug Test
Step 8: Start your Career as a Schertz Fire Rescue Team Member