MUNICIPAL COURT & Warrants
Welcome and thank you for visiting the City of Schertz Municipal Court page. The following items will provide helpful information regarding citations and court appearances.
The City of Schertz Municipal Court has jurisdiction over offenses occurring within the city limits that are violations of City ordinances or violations of a State Statute.
You have the right to appear in court and contest the charge(s) filed against you and you have the right to a jury trial. When making your appearance, bring your copy of the citation with you.
Payment of fines are accepted in person, by mail or online. Anyone under the age of 17 must appear in person and must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The City of Schertz Municipal Court accepts cash, credit/debit card, money orders or cashiers checks. No personal or company checks accepted.
Convictions for moving violations are reported to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
If you do not appear in court or make payment on or before the court date on your citation, an additional charge of failure to appear may be filed against you and a warrant for your arrest will be issued.
"if you pay online, you will be convicted of the offense for which you paid. Requests for defensive driving, dismissal or deferred disposition may only be made by mail or in person."
All persons entering the Court shall obey the following rules:
- Dress appropriately
- No talking in court unless addressed by the Judge or Court Personnel
- No pocket knives, tools of any kind, or sharp objects (leave them in your vehicle)
- Conduct himself/herself in a respectful and courteous manner
- No signs of any type will be allowed in the courtroom
- No food or drink items allowed
- No electronic devices
- Cell phones (must be on silent or off)
- MP3 players, PDAs, cameras, laptops, iPads should be left in vehicles or at home unless needed for your court case. Seating is limited to those with business before the court. Others may be asked to wait in the lobby if seating is not available in the court.
The court will issue a warrant when:
- You violated your promise to appear on your citation
- You failed to comply with the orders of the court
- You did not complete a payment plan or failed to make payments as directed
- You failed to appear on a summons, bond or to appear
If you are in warrant status your options are limited, please contact the warrant division at 210-619-1662 or 210-619-1663 or 210-619-1664.
If you are in warrant status and you have a driver's license, it will be denied renewal pursuant to Chapter 706 of the Texas Transportation Code under the Failure to Appear Program.
The only way to avoid arrest and regain the ability to renew your driver's license is to pay your fine(s) in full. This may be done Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (excluding holidays). The City of Schertz Municipal Court accepts cash, credit/debit cards, money orders and cashiers checks. The City of Schertz Municipal Court does not accept personal checks or company checks.
Payment in full may also be made online. Once payment in full is made, your driver's license will be cleared by this agency and the warrant cleared. If you have a Texas driver's license it will take one to three business days to clear. An out of state driver's license can take several weeks to clear and is done by mail. This will depend on your licensing state's procedures.
You can pay your fine in full and avoid another court appearance. If you wish to plea "not guilty" to any of the charges, you can be required to post a cash or surety bond to secure another court date. The bond can be double the total of all pending charges. If your license has been denied renewal, it will not be cleared until after the final disposition of the pending charges. There is no statute of limitations on an arrest warrant or the denial of your driver's license.
The City of Schertz Municipal Court contracts with a law firm for the collection of outstanding fines, therefore the total amount owed is subject to differ between DPS and the Municipal Court.