Passport to Care

The Schertz EMS Passport to Care is an annual EMS Membership program that allows the citizens we serve to pre-plan for emergencies. Nobody ever plans to have an accident or medical emergency and need an ambulance. These events are usually accompanied by unplanned and often very expensive medical costs. The City of Schertz EMS now has a plan to help you avoid some of these expenses.

If you have insurance that covers ambulance transportation and are transported by Schertz EMS, you will pay nothing out of pocket for that transport with Passport to Care. Without Passport to Care, you are responsible for the difference that insurance does not cover.

If you do not have insurance or your insurance says the transport was not necessary, you will receive an automatic 50% discount off of your ambulance bill with Passport to Care and with our average transport bill of approximately $1,500, this is a potential over $700 savings.

So, for the low price of $50 to $75 per year, price varies based on insurability, dependents, and time of year you join, you can now rest assured that if you or a member of your family has a medial emergency, transportation to the hospital will be potentially taken care of with no cost to you. That's right, no co-pay, no deductible, and no out of pocket costs (as long as your insurance deems it medically necessary).

This plan is available to everyone who resides or works in our service area, regardless of your insured status with the lone exception of Medicaid recipients. The State of Texas does not allow Medicaid recipients to participate in an EMS Membership plan because Medicaid does not come with any out of pocket expenses deeming the plan unnecessary for Medicaid recipients.

Click here to determine if you are located in our service area.

Passport to Care Fee Schedule

Joining in November or December also includes the Membership fee for the following year.
Month Joining
Single
Insured
Single
Uninsured
Family
Insured
Family
Uninsured
Jan-Feb
$50
$65
$60
$75
March
$45
$60
$55
$70
April
$40
$55
$50
$65
May
$35
$50
$45
$60
June
$30
$45
$40
$55
July
$25
$40
$35
$50
August
$20
$35
$30
$45
September
$15
$30
$25
$40
October
$10
$25
$20
$35
November
$50
$55 if new
$65
$85 if new
$60
$75 if new
$75
$105 if new
December
$50
$65
$60
$75

Register for Passport to Care

Use the following methods to register for Passport to Care

EXAMPLE OF HOW PASSPORT TO CARE WORKS:

You and your spouse decide to join. You are both covered by Medicare, so you send in your $60 membership dues on February 1 for the calendar year. On February 16th, you fall in the front yard while working. You cannot get up and your spouse dials 911. Schertz EMS responds, evaluates you and recommends transport to the hospital. You are transported by Schertz EMS ambulance.

Within a few days, Medicare is billed for this transportation, and because it met "medically necessary" guidelines, Medicare pays their portion of the bill - 80%(used for illustration purposes, not guaranteed). This leaves 20% of the bill that you are responsible for, on average $200-400 dollars. But, since you planned ahead and have your "Passport to Care," Schertz EMS sends you an invoice reflecting your $0 balance.

It is that simple! The price is very small for the large amount of security it can provide you knowing that if you need to call 9-1-1, you should have no concerns about the costs of transportation.